Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Clarification on Unit Subtypes

Today on the PP forums something happened:
http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?193102-Clarification-Request-DC-s-revelation-on-Subtypes&p=2541172&viewfull=1#post2541172

A clarification was issued on unit sub-types in order to have a clear and unambiguous and standard definition across all spells and abilities. If a unit contains a model with X subtype the unit has that subtype. So for example The Hunters Grim is a unit made up of Grim Angus and two pygs (Muggs and Krump). As Grim is a trollkin and Muggs and Krump are pygs the unit is both a trollkin unit and a pyg unit. This has some consequences so I'm going to go through them in no particular order:

Finn
http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/mkiiFinn
Finn had two problems. Firstly he was a trencher and he suffered from the too many rules disease that they have. You have to pay for those all of those rules even if only a few are relevent. His second problem was that his two main abilities Veteran Leader and Desperate Pace only work on trenchers and trenchers are awful. However Cygnar's ranking officer is a trencher model so when you attach him to a trencher unit that unit can now be affected by desperate pace (but not Veteran Leader, Veteran Leader works on trencher models so it will only work on Murdoch, Desperate Pace works on trencher units so it will work on any unit which has Murdoch in it).

So first off don't take Murdoch + Finn if you weren't taking either of them before. 5 points for desperate pace is too many points. Where I think this is a good idea is if you were previously taking Murdoch and when you have a way to get Finn to do work. I think 3 points for desperate pace might be too many points (at least in general) but if you have a caster like Stryker2 or Haley1 where Finn can really benefit from their abilities I believe that the combination is a good one. I like Nyss Hunters, Forge Guard, Press Gangers and Alexia and the Risen for the combination. So far the only list I have even attempted to rewrite is Stryker2 but I see it being something I will use in other lists.

Shifting Stones and Morvahna1
If you add the UA to shifting stones the unit becomes a living unit so you can now regrow stones. The unfortunate part is that you will have to place the spell on the unit the turn before it becomes relevant and it takes the ability away from your front line unit. However I still believe it is a really strong tactic, you can take bloodtrackers and regrow them most turns but when you need to get quite aggressive with your unit of shifting stones and then as long as one is alive be able to place any destroyed stones and get a very good teleportation off. I had previously been putting a Woldwrath in my Morvahna1 list but I have now redone the list with Stalker/Gorax (and druids currently though I am not sure about them).

Hunters Grim
You can now client a Sorceror to the hunters grim. I'm not sure it is worth it but it will allow you to remove any upkeep spells from your warlock.

Rhoven and Honour Guard
These guys are now allowed in any theme force that allows exemplar units even if not specifically named. I can't think of any good ones that do that but it's still a change.

Alexia and the Risen
I got nothing here, I can't think of any spells/abilities that work on living models/units other than regrowth but since this is the main other unit that has two different subtypes I'll whack them here anyway and update if I figure out anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment