Monday, May 20, 2013

Playing for the Long Game

Of all the matches I have lost lately (except for the one against Moorehouse) I lost the game by getting greedy and trying to end the game early. Two were assassination attempts with Lylyth2 and the third an attempted scenario win by domination by Lylyth2. Rule 1 about getting better at the game is to learn something from your losses so the pattern here is clear. Don't be greedy, be prepared to play for dice down. It is actually something I have been working on for a while now but always seems to abandon me in tournament games.

Main point for me - Don't go for assassination/scenario victory attempts that are less probable to bring a win than continuing to grind down my opponent. 

It may be a 60-70% assassination or scenario attempt but if you are 90%+ to win by staying the course then stay the course. Also probably double check important things with your opponent. I lost a game at the super series when I thought my opponent had said I had taken out movement and cortex but he was saying that i had just not taken out movement and cortex (one box left in each). That's a big difference, the place was a little loud with so many people there. I had more shots I could have put into that jack but chose not to because in my mind it was no longer a threat (knocked down without cortex). Also in fairness there was a misunderstanding in my game against James that went in my favour too.

35 point tournament coming up. Not sure what I'm taking. I have decided to abandon taking one faction to tournaments and just go nuts. It's more my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment