Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Craptacularity

Craptacularity is what I have named my Vindictus list. Thanks to the magic of modern medicine I've been back and playing warmachine again. For some reason I took Amon to the monthly tournament that I run. I've discovered that I don't like him. One shield guard was not enough to keep him alive, I think he might work with Devout spam but I am not sure I want to play that list. 

One of the biggest things I have been working on is rounding out my Vindictus list. I made a list and when through all the choices available and I am going to summarise my thoughts here.

Idrians
I was actually incredibly tempted to take Idrians in the list. With the UA you have go to ground and you have camoflage. That makes the unit DEF 19 and immune to blast damage from shooting. It would wonderfully fit the theme of the list, unfortunately Mage Hunter Strike Force with the commander ignore cover and therefore ignore camoflage. 

Bastions
The biggest problem with Bastions is that if I spread the damage it doesn't trigger the feat. Also being 12/16 and the only things that can be shot is probably not a great thing during the not feat turn. 

Croes Cutthroats
There are three ways to do something, the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way. It's the wrong way but faster! If you add the attendant priest these become Max Power Cutthroats, still wrong, but FASTER! 


They were considered at all because they are stealth and AD so I could counter deploy away from the riflemen if playing against Ossyan. The problem is that I'm starting to think Ret players are dumb and won't play that guy. The bad news for me is that Issyria is still a problem for Harbinger and Feora2.

Press Gangers or Boomhowlers
Add in the Attendant Priest and on feat turn there is a 50% chance (assuming Doc) that the shooting model dies and my model is still on the table. I ended up discarding this option because I'm worried about seeing Hyperion with Issyria and they make it three units that don't help with that. Also because MHSF means I can't block LOS to the attendant priest and he's 13/13 with 5 boxes. On Issyria's feat turn there is a good chance I only need one shot to take the unit out of the feat. 

Daughters
They run 16" and AD. They would be there to jam the enemy shooting. I don't see it happening though. DEF 15 is not enough DEF and I expect there to be a unit of Halberdiers or something around to clear things out. Against not Retribution I actually think they are an amazing choice and I'd be tempted to put them in anyway but I'm worried about heavies at the moment

Flamebringers
Like super daughters without AD. The unit threats 14.5" on the initial attack and then has up to three side steps. Another unit I think has promise with Vindictus that I can't put in a list targeted to Ret. 

Double Knights Exemplar
This one I played. I thought it had promise but I was worried about the shitty defensive stats of the unit and the rest of the list funneling shooting towards them. There are other problems. SPD 5 and no reach is a big one. Sure True Path brings them up to SPD 7 whereas the rest of the list goes bonkers with true path the knights just move into playable. The smaller unit sizes also make it more difficult to try and get true path off on the unit and they just don't do enough offensively. Considering how hard it is to deliver any of them I was kind of hoping that when they got there they would blow up whatever they hit but the math is kind of shitty. I don't know why it didn't click until I put them on the table because I'm a math person but it turns out that you still lose damage for everyone that dies. and you can't get a lot of them on a heavy because they don't have reach and missing is devastating... I've written too much on what I am convinced is a shitty choice.

Avatar of Menoth
I've left the one I decided on until last. Thinking more about him and having a little play experience with Vindictus (still not enough) I've realised that I should be able to keep him back against Ossyan and wait out the feat. He can be a late game beater and unless Ossyan is willing to be engaged by my infantry he isn't going to get him in the feat. Issyria I think really struggles to kill him, she certainly can't shoot him to death and that's basically enough. If by some miracle I make it to the final 4 having the Avatar is a big thing too since I can put him straight into my Harbinger list (I can even switch out a Reckoner if I want more Martyrdom).

So the list is currently:

Vice Scrutator Vindictus - WJ: +6
 - Reckoner - PC: 8 
 Avatar of Menoth - PC: 11 
 Vassal of Menoth - PC: 2 
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 3 
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist - PC: 2 
Initiate Tristan Durant - PC: 3 
- Redeemer - PC: 6 
Vassal of Menoth - PC: 2 
Wrack - PC: 1 
Choir of Menoth - Leader & 3 Grunts PC: 2 
Holy Zealots - Leader and 9 Grunts PC: 6 
- Monolith Bearer - Monolith Bearer PC: 2 
Temple Flameguard - Leader and 9 Grunts PC: 6 
- Temple Flameguard Officer & Standard - Temple Flameguard Officer & Standard PC: 2

I also built this list which I call Max Power

Vice Scrutator Vindictus (*6pts)* Devout (5pts)Croe's Cutthroats (Croe and 9 Grunts) (10pts)* Attendant Priest (2pts)Deliverers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)Exemplar Cinerators (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)Exemplar Cinerators (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)Flameguard Cleansers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)* Flameguard Cleanser Officer (2pts)Allegiant of the Order of the Fist (2pts)Allegiant of the Order of the Fist (2pts)

No comments:

Post a Comment