Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tempest Blazers

The Cygnar Gun Mage Cav are being released shortly and are in the new NQ. Quick rundown of inportant stats:

SPD: 9
RAT: 7
DEF: 14
ARM: 13

There is a query on their range (NQ and the card are printed differently so it's either 12" or 10", 12" would be amazing). Their guns are POW10, they have gunfighter and pathfinder. They have 3 shot types:

Blessed (ignores spells that add to DEF or ARM)
Brutal Damage (3 dice damage, not crit brutal, it's always 3 dice)
Electro Leap (nearest model within 4" of target also takes a POW 10)

Blessed we knew from the product blurb, brutal damage I expected, electro leap though I did not expect and it is amazing. Cygnar is full of ways to buff RAT and they start at 7. Being able to output 10 POW 10s and be 15" or 17" away is incredible. Stack their high DEF with blur and you won't ever kill them. Snipe and they are even further away. First thought was Haley1, with Temporal Barrier up you can't even run towards them (not that you'd make it anyway) and +2 to hit will just let them carve up everything. They are so self sufficient that they can go with any caster. They look like a fantastic flanking force and they don't need a great deal of help to lower ARM casters. Run up a ranger or staying on the Haley1 theme catch them in Temporal Barrier and a lot of casters/warlock really don't like being hit by 5 boosted POW 10s.

I am excited. They may make it into my Caine1 list, I'm re-writing that as in 2013 a lot of scenarios have two scoring areas. Stormwall can only contest one so I lost a lot of scenario points. I'd consider them strongly with Nemo2 if I wasn't so enamoured with his theme force. With all his jacks he cracks ARM just fine but a flanking force of light cav with polarity shield would provide a very different threat, and their SPD lets me make sure they are always fighting the things I want them to be fighting. The Strykers can probably use a strong flanking force and it adds some mobility to Darius with double stormwall. 

2 comments:

  1. They sound really good, pity about the models though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try putting them on some old wood elf horses from my GW days since I think that the horses are the main problem. It's hard to tell though whether they'll work.

      Delete