Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tournament Talk

I want to skim over a lot of things in this post.

First - There are quite a few people excited about the club challenge I want to run. It looks like we may even have a team from Melbourne coming up. If we get a team from Melbourne and do not get a team from the Guild I WILL MURDER ALL OF YOU.

Results - Due to the odd number of players and results kind of working the tournament should have finished a round early however we played the last round anyway. This left me on at that stage 3 wins 1 loss playing Jeff Traish on 4 wins and no losses. I won that game leaving 3 players on 4 wins and 1 loss. Me, Jeff and Creagh. The first tie breaker was strength of schedule (how well your opponents had done), since we had all played each other it came down the other guys. I picked up 3rd, Creagh 1st. Didn't play Haley2, first time I'm sad that didn't happen. I wanted to live the dream and kill her on her feat turn. 

About the meta - Not nearly as many colossals as I expected. No stormwalls. None. There was a Mountain King, Two Krakkens, Hyperion and a Conquest. No Galleons but no Merc players which is generally the way (no minions either, it's usually either one or none for those factions). More warmachine than hordes, infantry machine is alive and well, the doomshaper1 theme force and the Vayl2 theme forces are good. They took second and third. Menoth are a strong faction. Guns are still a thing, expect to see guns. The scenarios are very winnable and if your opponent can't jam you, you almost always want to go second. No one was jamming, I did have a ret player jam me with quickened halberdiers but that was after they had killed three Legionnairres so copped almost a full vengeance. That also allowed me to spawn and then refill the pot. The spawning vessel is ridiculous for 3 points. 

About my tournament pairing - By this I mean my competitive super series invitational (essentially the Australian Warmachine Weekend or national championship) lists because I'm still going to screw around with stupid lists and caster combinations for everything else. Last year it was Saeryn and Lylyth2. After seeing how good Vayl2 is I think I want to include her. I don't know who I'd pair her with. Lylyth2 eats Haley double stormwall and Bart Galleon as well as the protectorate gunline and Saeryn does pretty well against Asphixious2 and Cryx in general, as well as Trolls and Skorne. Vayl2 has game against everyone which is great but makes it more difficult to think of a good pair for her. I could always go Mercs and take Bart Galleon and pair with Damiano, Ashlynn or Shae. EDIT: Just spent some time going over all my lists and I am feeling Vayl1/Vayl2. Super series is in May btw so some time next month expect to be saying a lot of Vayl. 

About Colossals/Gargantuans - I played 4 games against colossals, two in the tournament proper and two in my practice games in the week leading up. I destroyed only one and that was in a practice game, both colossals I faced in the tournament I did not even damage. I won all 4 games. You can't contest all the scoring areas in 2013 with a colossal, if you can't kill a colossal you still have a game. My colossal advice should probably have an addendum - don't get fixated on the colossal. If you get tunnel vision you can throw away opportunities to win. In this list I had no way to minimise the colossals, I just ignored them and killed their caster and/or went for the other scoring area. The colossal needs to predeploy and can't run if it wants to shoot. I would have went after the colossals had I needed to, my list is capable of killing them but as always in this game you prioritise targets based on what will put you ahead on scenario or attrition or to set up an assassination. Always focus on winning not on killing the big scary thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment