Monday, July 15, 2013

New List Dojo!

Duff beer is brewed from hops, barley, and sparkling clear mountain... what?

GOAT!

Circle Orboros
Standard Army
PCs: 50 / 50
35 models

[00] Morvahna the Dawnshadow (0 / 5 WB)
[02]  >> Druid Wilder
[10]  >> Warpwolf Stalker
[04]  >> Gorax
[05] Wolf Lord Morraig
[01] Gallows Grove
[01] Gallows Grove
[06] Wolves of Orboros (9 grunts)
[02]  >> Wolves of Orboros Chieftain & Standard
[02] Shifting Stones
[01]  >> Stone Keeper
[10] Tharn Blood Pack (5 grunts)
[08] Warpborn Skinwalkers (4 grunts)
[03]  >> Warpborn Alpha

So, I play circle now. This list is currently making its way to my house, I will have to paint the Gallows groves, Blood pack, Alpha and the nice lady riding the goat but other than that the painting work is done for me which is good because at my rate of 1 model a month it takes quite a lot of time to paint a list. 

Tech
The place to start with Lady Goat is to ensure you have something to put Carnivore on. The Wolves are a pretty good Carnivore target and they are cheap and the heal Morvahna when they die. The Skinwalkers too like that spell, having two units will let me cycle it if I feel like rerolling every single dice roll in the game also both work quite nicely with the feat, you can feat back an insane amount of hit points with the skinwalkers and you can feat back the UA for the wolves so they always get to use their minifeat, or run the unit leader forwards and feat them to engage ranged stuff. They also turn Morraig into an absolute boss, he gets Flank with them, he's already a POW 13 weaponmaster so he's rolling 5 dice on the charge, gets stealth when fog of war is up and he has Cleave. He'll half kill a heavy if you need him to, especially since if he rolls crap on damage you just reroll it. They are also the unit I am most likely to drop from this list, they are the same cost as Reeves and War Wolves (with Morraig) which I'd like in this list (Reeves have camouflage so are +4 DEF with fog of war and when you feat back war wolves they can still sick 'em). 

The Blood Pack are another interesting option, they are 3 points cheaper than the above packages or I think I'd put them in first but what they bring to the list is combined arms, a ton of damage boxes with the feat and the ability to make attacks after being feated back. When they get the Assault and Battery order they get to make ranged attacks outside of their combat action, so they can still sacrifice that action and make their ranged attacks. I also like the way Assault and Battery allows you to make attacks and then run, it also allows you to measure your charge range and the corpse tokens can be used to boost ranged attacks so if you get a few you can bring down even heavier targets. 

This does leave the list with a slight deficiency when it comes to dealing with ARM so at least one stalker is essential. The Stalker also gets stealth from fog of war. The Gorax is there as well because it gives the stalker the ability to kill even a stacked ARM model and because you can transfer the damage you take when you reroll to the Gorax (if you roll a 3) and then the Gorax can charge for free. The Gallows Groves are essential because placing them on the feat does a lot and you get the death knell assassination. I'd like to have two shifting stones but the points aren't quite there. Also double stones are more important when you have more beasts. 

Options
I mentioned one of these above and that was changing the Wolves + Morraig for Reeves and Wolves. It's a straight swap which does not significantly change the way the list plays. It gives you more ranged ability and another assassination option but drops the ARM cracking and the scenario ability of the list a bit. If I find that ARM cracking is an issue then the other change to make is to take out the Blood Pack for a second Stalker. I can also drop the Wolves + Morraig instead in order to also take a second unit of Stones but then the model count starts to get a bit low. The other option I was looking at was double White Mane, Blackclad and a second Stone unit. White Manes give me some more solos and I can feat back or use to control scenaario points (solos are much better at controlling flags than the massive units I have here). The Blackclad also helps with my threat ranges and adds a magical spray. 

Matchups
She wants living troops, you take an army full of living troops against her and you are starting the game way behind. That said even a unit or two is probably enough for her to get her Mojo on. She doesn't want to see a cryx undead spam but most of all she doesn't want to see a high ARM jack wall. So Menoth and Cryx are the main two match ups she wants to avoid. Even then purification puts her at least in the game. So I need a hard hitting list that can take Cryx and for that match up I've decided to do what every other circle player is doing and play Kromac. I'd play Cassius (because I think he likes the Cryx match up too and doesn't mind Menoth either) but I'm a few pieces short of his list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment