Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Couple Things

1. Digital reader app should finally be available tomorrow or the day after. Finally. I've been missing no Quarter since I let my subscription lapse but if I'm honest I would only have received the May one recently and the app will get me the July one quicker than my subscription would have.

2. Disappointing turn out for Iron Gauntlet again. I'm not sure how much of the problem is that Iron Gauntlet has been consistently placed to coincide with Masters and how much is that the format itself is lacking. I feel if players did not have to choose between IG and Masters that many more would have at least given IG a try. I think it is clear now that IG will require massive changes for next year, it has had every advantage that could possibly have been given to it, both by PP and by the vagaries of life in that some of the loudest voices in the community have featured very prominently and has still not attracted players. Some obvious changes would be to use Masters events as qualifiers or to create a new format for IG, if you aren't going to get rid of the multiple factions the tournament could be 4 rounds 4 casters, play each once or something else of that style. I don't know. The current format is too similar to regularly steamroller so the fact that it is strictly worse becomes more clearly highlighted.

3. Feeling the pull of the Kriels. Shamblers still aren't up on the PP schedule so while I do intend to bring minions to a tournament once they are out I can either stick with circle for a while or go to another faction. My trolls are woefully underpainted but I do have both Runes of War and Family Reunion. At the moment I'm thinking Runes and Grissel1.

4. New Gencon models - Raluk is making me think about Mariners. In trolls and Minions. Trolls have far strike which can go on a Mariner and Minions would just really like some good guns. The Mariner is amphibious so not knocked down by Barnabus' feat (though Raluk is, he'll have to drive it first) but I'm not sure it's worth losing the theme force bonuses. Rask also can affect the model with all of his spells. With Raluk the Mariner can shoot, boost damage then charge and thresher or just walk backwards. The thoughts are not fully fleshed out yet, however Raluk is amazing for 2 points so he will appear in some lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment